We have a small number of vacancies to join our incredible team of prison volunteers! These opportunities are incredibly rare but hugely gratifying and require a great deal of patience, empathy and most importantly, commitment. We are currently looking for volunteers in the following regions:
- South London
Recruiting new prison volunteers is a big commitment for both the volunteer and Fine Cell Work, therefore we ask that you are able to commit for a minimum of two years if you wish to volunteer in this role. Almost all classes fall within Monday - Friday 9am - 6pm so are best suited to those with a regular time slot of availability in the week. The majority of our prison classes are taught fortnightly and the class lasts about 2 hours.
You don't have to be a stitcher to volunteer in prison, although an understanding of needlework is an advantage. The key duties of our prison volunteers include:
- Teaching our prison stitchers embroidery, needlepoint and/or quilting so they reach a skill level high enough that they can be paid to produce Fine Cell Work products
- Encouraging and helping stitchers to complete our Open College Network certification in creative needlework, as well as encouraging those who wish to undertake their own creative projects
- Maintaining good communication with other volunteers and the team in the office to ensure stitchers have work to complete
- Ensuring accurate records of stitchers' work and other monitoring data are up to date
- Acting as an ambassador for Fine Cell Work within the prison
If you are interested in applying to be a prison volunteer, please tell us a little more about yourself by completing this application form and returning it to our Prison and Volunteer Supervisor, Joel Brocklehurst (see form for details).
We are hoping to recruit and train new volunteers ahead of prisons reopening this Autumn.
We are looking for a lifestyle photographer who is able to volunteer some time to help us photograph some of our upcoming ranges. Ideally based in London or Sussex, and with a suitable space in which to carry out photography. If this sounds like you, or you'd like to find out more about our specific needs, please contact Katie & Guido via email@example.com .
If our current opportunities don't sound quite right for you, do not worry! Please refer back to this page or follow us on Instagram or Facebook to be the first to hear as new opportunities become available.
For more information on Fine Cell Work and the ways you can get involved, take a look at our Frequently Asked Questions.