Post-release programme - Open the Gate
Open the Gate - our post-release programme for rehabilitation
Open the Gate is Fine Cell Work’s post release programme. We provide employment support and training opportunities to prison leavers. Open the Gate bridges the gap between custody into the community, supporting professional development and aiding resettlement.
We work in a structured way which is tailored to and led by the people we support.
Delivered from our Hub in Battersea, Apprentices are offered a foundation of learning, creativity and wellbeing, with opportunities to work alongside our staff team. Our programme enables prison leavers to upskill, develop independence, and build networks to live meaningful, crime-free lives.
Prison leavers join Open the Gate as an ‘Apprentice’- a label which breaks the stigma of leaving prison.
Our Apprentices have a less than 2% reoffending rate, compared against a national average of 46%.
People who join open the gate can benefit from the following:
- Volunteering and work experience in areas such as administration, stock management, dispatch, sales and textiles production.
- Mentoring – Employment guidance and coaching from an experienced external mentor to identify and reach future goals.
- Signposting and support to access other services.
- One to one support from staff around day-to-day issues and resettlement challenges.
- Group workshops relating to a wide range of topics including confidence building, internet Safety, disclosure, preparing for work and many more.
- Training modules accredited by the Open College Network (OCN).
- Mock job interviews
- Support with job search, CV writing and interview preparation
- Involvement with the charity and wider community through forums and events.
- Access to funding for further training.
The programme’s outreach has expanded throughout the community, connecting prison leavers with further training and support in various capacities.